The Second Cook / Assistant Cook assists the Head Cook and helps coordinate the kitchen team to provide a great dining experience for campers and guests.
Provides support and leadership under the direction of the head cook in presenting quality meals at Pleasant Valley Christian Camp. Works to ensure a functional, positive, and professional kitchen team.
1) Support the Head Cook in helping the kitchen team setup, prepare, serve, and clean up after each meal in a timely manner.
- Help lead the kitchen team, cook, and clean as needed or assigned by the Head Cook.
- Ensure, along with the Head Cook, that all proper health and safety rules, laws, and policies are observed.
- Ensure, along with the Head Cook, that all equipment, preparation areas, serving areas, and dining areas are clean and setup properly.
2) Be a Leader on the Kitchen Team by providing an example of Christian service, professionalism, and quality.
- Participate in a devotional and prayer time with kitchen team daily
- Participate in a prayer time before each meal is served
- Help the Head Cook develop and implement a ministry philosophy of food service for all kitchen staff and volunteers.
- Help enforce schedules and areas of responsibility for kitchen team
• Attendance and Dependability: This position requires a consistent leadership and participation during camps to ensure that guests, campers, parents, and pastors are served well.
• Communication: This position requires effective communication both verbally and in writing with guests, volunteer directors, and camp staff.
• Relationship with Others: This position requires a person who is able to relate calmly, professionally, and well with others including guests, coworkers, and superiors.
• Flexibility and Attitude: This position also requires great flexibility and a positive attitude that can adjust to changing tasks and difficult situations.
Meal Details: (*Summer Season Only)
- Serve Camp (1,3,3,1) = 8 meals
- *1st Chance Camp (1,3,1) = 5 meals
- *High School (1,3,3,3,3,1) = 14 meals
- *Middle School (1,3,3,3,1) = 14 meals
- *Family Camp (1,3,3,3,3,3,1) = 17 meals
- *Junior Camp (1,3,3,3,3,3,1) = 17 meals
- Senior Saints (1,3,1) = 5 meals
- Summer Season = 67 meals (23 breakfasts)
- Full Season = 80 meals (28 breakfasts)
Typical* Daily Meal Schedule:
- Breakfast (Between 8am and 9am)
- Lunch (Between 11:30am and 12:30pm)
- Dinner (Between 5:30pm and 6:30pm)
*All meal times will be scheduled in advance and communicated to the Head Cook. Some flexibility is required for meal service times due to the fluid nature of camp programs. Volunteer Directors and camp staff will do there best to ensure that campers and in the dining room for meals on time.